What is eConsult?
eConsult enables NHS based GP practices to offer online consultations to their patients. This allows patients to submit their symptoms or requests to their own GP electronically, and offers around the clock NHS self-help information, signposting to services, and a symptom checker.
eConsult is the most widely used digital triage tool in NHS primary care, built by NHS GPs for NHS patients, designed to enhance patient access, improve practice efficiencies and signpost patients to the right place at the right time for their care. Live in over 3013 NHS practices, eConsult gives millions of patients access to their own GP online.
How does eConsult work?
eConsult is easy for patients and practices
eConsult lets you consult with your NHS GP online by completing a quick form that is sent and reviewed by the practice. You can also be directed to patient self-help, pharmacy advice and local self-referral services.
From 18th March 2022, Proxy Access has been introduced allowing someone else to submit an eConsult on behalf of a patient. The submitter must provide their own contact details and their relationship to the patient, alongside the patient's details. The contact details provided by the proxy will be made available to the practice.
You'll wonder how you did without it
- Patients may not need a trip to the practice and their query may be resolved with a phone call
- Self help and pharmacy medical advice is available even when the practice is closed – Patients can check their health symptoms online and receive on the spot medical advice and treatment guidance thanks to NHS content
- Patients will get a response from their own NHS GP practice by the end of the next working day or sooner
- Access wherever and whenever patients want from any device. Unlike a telephone call patients can complete an eConsult at a pace that suits them, without taking up practice time
- Patients can request sick notes without the need for an appointment saving patient and practice time
Just go to our practice website, click on the ‘Contact our doctors online’ button and tell us what you want advice or help for. You can also access eConsult via the MyGP App, just click on Book Appointment, click on the required answer and then click for the online consultation service.
You can also use eConsult for your child if they are aged between 6 months and 17 years old.
- eConsult is a more convenient way to get help from the practice for your conditions, symptoms or for administrative requests
- Using eConsult allows you to explain why you want an appointment - you don't have to try to explain everything within the first few minutes of an appointment
- eConsults are filled in online and can be done at any time, day or night, and even on the weekend
- The practice can then decide how best to help you - you may not even need to come into the practice
- After your eConsult, the practice will get back in touch and let you know what the next steps are
Click on the video below to explain more about eConsult
eConsult is not intended for use if you are requesting the following:-
Patients requesting a Home Visit.
Patients residing in a residential/nursing home
Repeat prescription requests
Test result requests
Nursing/Heath Care Assistant appointments including blood tests.
Coil/implant insertions/removals and pessary ring changes
Children under the age of 6 months .
Any general COVID-19 queries or requests to book a COVID-19 vaccination. This does not include patients seeking medical advice in regards to COVID-19.
For any of the above, you should continue to telephone the practice.
Frequently Asked Questions:
How do I access eConsult?
It is quite simple! Visit the practice website and click on the eConsult banner that says ‘Contact our doctors online’ or alternatively, use the MyGP App
When will I get a response back?
The clinician will review your submitted request and get back to you by the end of the working day and no later than the deadline you receive on your confirmation with an outcome. We will contact you by phone, by email or by text.
I don’t have access to the Internet
Patients who do not have access to the internet can contact the practice after 11am to request a routine telephone call with the most appropriate clinician for their needs.
What about the Elderly?
Elderly patients who have access to the internet can use the service, otherwise they can call the practice after 11am to request a routine telephone call with the most appropriate clinician for their needs.
What about my Child?
Parents / Guardians can complete an eConsult on behalf of their children aged 6 months and above. Carers/Parents will receive a call back or an appointment for their children as a minimum action. Children under the age of 6 months will need to be booked in for a telephone consultation and Parents/Guardians will need to telephone the practice to make this appointment.
But I need to be seen
Your eConsult will be reviewed by a clinician and if you need to be seen you will be given an appointment
I completed an eConsult, but I have not heard back from the practice.
The eConsult will advise you as to what to do next if you have not been contacted by the practice by the given deadline.
I have an administrative request
You can submit admin requests by visiting our website, go to the eConsult banner and select administrative requests